The Cross

Friday, February 4, 2011

This year I committed to reading the Bible completely. As you may know, usually you read some verses from Psalms about Wisdom, the Pentateuch for History, Chronicles/Prophets and the Gospels and Epistles. Today I read Luke 23, Jesus' death. I sat and imagined the horror and glory of that day. To get an even more detailed picture I watched the scene from The Passion of the Christ movie. I do that because I want to get a good picture in my head of the pain Jesus endured on the cross for me. I picture his blood dripping down his face while carrying all of our sin(s). Why would He love me so much to take all of my sin and give me all of His righteousness in exchange?

It's a beautiful picture, isn't it? I am convinced no one would go back after experiencing God's love and goodness. I have experienced that love and goodness because I have seen the depth of my sin(s). Most would say exposing sin is too hard and you need to hide it, not deal with it. Counselors teach us how to forget and move on from the pain. I have learned it's the exact opposite. It's in the pain and the hard truth that God is revealed. When we are living a life of repentance God's goodness shines. He didn't die for me when and because I was "good." He died because someone had to pay my random. Someone had to pay for all the sins of the world, including mine. As I continue to live a life seeking God I am convicted more and more of my sin. You can't be close to God and not see your sin. He is just too perfect! I am encouraged because as long as I see my sin, I see God's goodness.

"For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life." Romans 5:10




Add a comment »

This entry was posted on Friday, February 4, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply